Monday, November 26, 2007

November 27

On the 27th in 1703, the first Eddystone Light[i] was yet again destroyed by what came to be known as the Great Storm of 1703. Personally, I fail to see what was so darn great about it. O.K., O.K., that is it, you can relax now. I know you were worried but I’m not going to insert the lyrics to that song[ii] here, though I am sorely tempted to do so.

[i] The current lighthouse is the fourth one, the others all having been destroyed by a variety of means.
[ii] I wish to state unequivocally that my father was not the keeper of the Eddystone Light. He did not marry a mermaid one fine night. From that union there did not come three. I categorically deny that there was a porpoise. There was no porgy and the other was certainly not me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google