Sunday, November 25, 2007

November 26

The 26th in 1862 was a watershed day for Charles Dodgson. He was a writer, known to us as Lewis Carroll. It was on that day that he sent his handwritten manuscript of Alice's Adventures Underground to Alice Liddell. As you must know, the book was published and became wildly popular and is still in print today. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book, both the original and annotated versions. It has been some time since I read it however and there are parts of the delightful book that I simply do not recall. If you are more familiar with the book than I am, I would greatly appreciate your taking a moment and sending me an email telling me just what it was that the dormouse said. While logic and proportion may have fallen sloppy dead, I am reasonably certain that the dormouse did not say ‘Feed your head’ as the Jefferson Airplane insists it did. Additionally I would also like to know if the White Knight was really talking backwards and, if he was, what exactly was he saying?

Alice Pleasance Liddell, Lewis Carroll’s niece, was the inspiration for the character Alice. When Liddell was 80 years old, on a visit to New York, she met Peter Llewelyn-Davies, who was one of the boys who inspired J. M. Barrie to write Peter Pan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google