Tuesday, July 29, 2008

July 29

John Graves Simcoe was the first lieutenant governor of Upper Canada. As such, he had a certain amount of power. A man in his position had a lot of leeway in what he could and couldn’t do. I mean, seriously, who would be foolish enough as to object to any of his plans? On the 29th in 1793, he took it into his head to build a fort and a settlement. Ultimately, the damn thing would become one of the most pleasant places on the planet – Toronto, Ontario, Canada. By planet, I mean earth, as I can’t speak about the other ones because I haven’t been to them yet, though I’m working on it.
Toronto was not Simcoe’s first choice for the location of the fort. He would have preferred to put it at London, Ontario, but was over-ruled. However, if he had done that, the CBC would have had to move all of its facilities out of Toronto, so I guess this time second choice worked out just fine all around.
Visit http://www.symzonia.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google