Wednesday, February 13, 2008

February 13

What do William Lloyd Garrison, Benjamin Franklin, and Louis Farrakhan have in common? They all dropped out of the Boston Latin School, the first public school in the United States, which opened its doors on the 13th in 1635.
Garrison was an ardent abolitionist. One quote which illustrates his commitment is "I am in earnest – I will not equivocate – I will not excuse – I will not retreat a single inch – I WILL BE HEARD."
In his free time, Franklin liked to keep busy. He played the violin, the harp, and the guitar; all in addition to composing string quartets in a classical style.
Before joining the Nation of Islam, Farrakhan was on the road to having a successful career as a Calypso singer.
Before you jump down my throat, I am well aware that at the time the school opened, it wasn’t in the United States, but you get the idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google