Saturday, August 12, 2006

August 13

Otto Witte, an acrobat by training, was crowned King of Albania on the 13th in 1913. I think political reformers in our country might do well to consider having circus performers, and perhaps magicians, included on the national ballot. I haven’t voted since Mo Udall lost his bid for the presidency, but I would jump at the chance to vote for Penn and Teller.

In what was an unsettling first for me, I allowed this entry to appear in the print edition of the Review as having happened on the 12th and not on the 13th, which is the correct date. At least I got the year right. I would blame the research department but I rather like them and must accept full responsibility. I fully intend to have myself taken out back this evening and shot repeatedly. That is, of course, unless I am able to come up with even a lame excuse for my having allowed what is clearly a typographical error to pass through unnoticed. On the other hand, it could have been the work of al Qaeda, bin Laden, or perhaps Hezbollah or one of those other people whose names I can’t spell. It certainly could not have been sloppiness on my part because if you believe that then the terrorists have won.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google